[logback-user] [newbie] marker usage

Ceki Gülcü listid at qos.ch
Sat Feb 3 23:22:35 CET 2007

Hi Xavier,

Many thanks for your compliment. Would you care to create a bug report
asking for an enhancement of the documentation as you describe in your
email? You can do so under the logback-site/documentation heading [1].

The logback-demo [2] gives an example of how you could use markers.

In a nut shell, you mark logging request with a marker and those marked
request can be filtered accordingly. For example, assume you marked a
request as "TRACE" as shown below:

package ch.qos.logback.demo;

import org.slf4j.Logger;
import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory;
import org.slf4j.Marker;
import org.slf4j.MarkerFactory;

public class MarkerExample {

   static Marker TRACE_MARKER = MarkerFactory.getMarker("TRACE");
   Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(MarkerExample .class);

   public void aMethod() {
     logger.info(TRACE_MARKER, "Hello world");
   }

}

You can then instruct a turbo filter to drop requests marked with "TRACE"
as follows:

<turboFilter class="ch.qos.logback.classic.turbo.MarkerFilter">
   <Name>TRACE</Name>
    <Marker>TRACE</Marker>
    <OnMatch>DENY</OnMatch>
</turboFilter>